Friday, May 30, 2008

Fidelity and the Suburbs

I met some girlfriends tonight to see the highly anticipated Sex and the City. I know, I know. Sex and the City was an entire series, and now a movie founded on principles and values that for the most part I don't align myself with.

But I had to see it.

You see, at some point in my life, I identified with the characters. I watched these women and longed to be in the big city, fabulous, dressed in all the most wonderful labels, high heels on, and independent. And please, don't let me forget, money out the wazoo and any man wrapped around my pinky finger.

Sitting in the theater tonight, I realized something. I have changed. I no longer identify with these women. They seemed foreign to me, and not that long ago the ladies seemed like family. Dare I say, I felt like I could have been the 5th gal sipping Cosmos and talking about my latest conquest.

Nevertheless, I did enjoy the movie. But that is it, it was just a movie.

I walked out of the theater in my Target clothes and got into my Saturn and drove to my modest suburban home. While I was driving home I had the windows down and the oldies cranked up. My thoughts were on if we should have donuts or biscuits for breakfast the next morning. I walked into my home on my swollen pregnant feet, and kissed a man who had worked all day in the hot sun. But this sweet man came home and watched a spunky 2 year old so I could go out with friends.

I don't know about you my friends, but I don't think life can get any more fabulous than this.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Was the movie enjoyable, though? :)

Jess said...

i totally agree - it DOESN'T get any better! (i need to remind myself of that when i am feeling ungrateful for my precious family)...

love
jess